Embracing the Shift: How New Tools Are Redefining Data Governance for Business Efficiency
In an era where data is the lifeblood of business, the mechanisms we use to govern this data have become a focal point of scrutiny. Traditional tools and processes, such as Managed File Transfer (MFT) systems and conventional email, have long dictated how data is shared and managed. These legacy systems, characterized by their inadequate controls and visibility, have necessitated a reliance on cumbersome, centralized approval processes. This approach not only undermines the trust placed in our workforce but also significantly impairs business efficiency and profitability.
The Problem with Legacy Systems
The reliance on legacy systems for data governance has compelled many organizations to adopt arcane and inefficient processes.Centralized bodies meticulously verify and manually approve each data sharing action, a practice that is not only time-consuming but also demoralizing for staff. This method implicitly suggests that the workforce is not trustworthy, fostering an environment of skepticism and inefficiency. Furthermore, these outdated practices stifle business agility and innovation, leading to increased overhead and frustration.
The Need for a Mindset Shift
The landscape, however, is changing. A mindset shift is required—one that moves away from stringent, manual oversight to automated, advanced governance. The emergence of new tools offers a promising solution.These innovative solutions are designed to automate the governance process, providing the necessary controls and visibility in real-time. They function as"guard rails" that remain unobtrusive during standard operations, activating only when deviations from the norm are detected. This methodology supports a frictionless business flow, enabling data to move freely in a"risk appropriate" manner.
Detailed Examples of Cumbersome, Centralized Approval Processes
Cumbersome Approval Processes:
- Traditional IT security measures often necessitate centralized approval for sharing files externally, causing delays and inefficiencies.
- The decision-making responsibility traditionally falls on IT security teams, who must evaluate each sharing request against organizational policies and potential security risks.
- IT departments are burdened with the task of manually approving or denying each request, consuming valuable time and resources.
- The need to monitor and manage these requests on an ongoing basis adds to the operational overhead, further straining IT resources.
Inflexibility and Reduced Responsiveness:
- Centralized approval processes often lack the flexibility needed to accommodate the dynamic nature of modern business collaborations.
- The inability to swiftly approve sharing requests can hinder the organization's ability to respond promptly to business opportunities.
Increased Risk of Shadow IT:
- The frustration and delays caused by cumbersome approval processes may drive users to seek alternative, unauthorized methods for sharing files, increasing the risk of data breaches.
The Benefits of Automated Governance
The advantages of embracing this new approach to data governance are manifold:
- Empowered Workforce: By reducing manual oversight, organizations signal trust in their employees, empowering them to work more autonomously and confidently.
- Enhanced Efficiency: Automated governance allows for the seamless flow of data, eliminating bottlenecks and reducing the time spent on approvals.
- Reduced Overhead: With fewer resources dedicated to manual checks and approvals, organizations can reallocate efforts towards more strategic initiatives.
- Improved Business Agility: The ability to share and manage data more efficiently paves the way for quicker decision-making and innovation.
The shift towards automated governance tools represents a pivotal change in how we approach data governance. By adopting these innovative solutions, organizations can break free from the constraints of legacy systems, fostering an environment of trust, efficiency, and agility. This transition not only benefits the workforce but also enhances overall business performance. As we move forward, it's clear that the future of data governance lies in automation and advanced controls, paving the way for a more dynamic and efficient business landscape.
Solutions Offered by eShare:
- eShare addresses these challenges by automating the external sharing decision-making process, thereby reducing the reliance on centralized approval processes.
- It leverages existing controls and respects organizational policies to ensure secure and compliant sharing, without the need for manual intervention from IT security teams.
- The automation of authentication and attestation processes not only alleviates the administrative burden on IT but also enhances the user experience by enabling quick and seamless external collaboration.
Are you ready to learn more about automated governance for your organization? Reach out to us to see how eShare can transform your collaborative landscape and mitigate hidden costs, while maximizing security and efficiency.